Since 1976, Mississippi Valley State University has been offering a world-class graduate education and has been producing leaders of the business world. The MVSU Department of Business offers an MBA program that is strategically crafted to bridge the gap between pre-professional students and leaders in the workforce through experiential learning, professional development, networking, and service opportunities. Students in our program can bring their educational experiences to new heights through remarkable internships, amazing career development workshops, and engaging with faculty that teach based on real-world application. Our MBA graduates have moved into an assortment of careers such as Accountant, Management consultant, Human Resources Manager, Marketing Director, Financial Advisor, and countless more thriving professions.
The application process for entry into the MVSU Graduate Studies Program(s): To apply for admission to the Master of Business Administration (MBA) program, simply click on the "Graduate Application" link at the bottom of this page and submit it along with the other required supporting documentation to the Mississippi Valley State University (MVSU) Office of Admission & Recruitment via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If there are additional questions about the graduate admission process, please contact Ms. Angela Amos at the MVSU Office of Admission & Recruitment at Phone-(662-254-3347) and email@example.com. In addition to being admitted into the university’s Graduate Studies Program(s), specifically, applicants admitted into the Master of Business Administration (MBA) program must:
- Have submitted a fully "Typed" and completed graduate application to the MVSU Graduate Admissions Office with the required supporting documentation with explicit attention to detail and accuracy and consistency of all information notated on all submitted documentation (this will be strictly and explicitly scrutinized). Please be advised that your grade point average (GPA) will not be the only criterion that will be assessed; the entirety of your graduate application packet will be scrutinized and assessed for 1) overall professionalism, 2) the overall accuracy, consistency, and clarity of information on your documents, and 3) the level of communications (orally or in writing).
- Official transcripts of collegiate work. Have earned an undergraduate or bachelor’s degree from a fully accredited college or university. Transcripts from all universities attended or the transcripts that you wish to use as part of the application criteria. If you are a graduate of Mississippi Valley State University, your transcripts should be on file with the MVSU Office of Student Records, however, you are still required to submit them as part of the graduate admissions application packet.
- Have achieved an undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 or higher (Starting Fall 2023).
- If transferring from another graduate program, the program must be fully accredited and the graduate transfer grade point average (GPA) must be 3.0 or higher.
- Three professional letters of reference or recommendation and each recommendation letter should have the accompanying Letter of Recommendation Form that is part of the graduate admissions application. In addition, each of the three recommendation letters should have a signature.
- A statement of personal and career objectives and how the MBA Program will aid in achieving the objectives
- A professional resume or curriculum vitae (CV)
- Copies of your most recent immunization records. If you have attended Mississippi Valley State University, your immunization records should be on file with the MVSU Admissions Office.
- A Professional Statement (cover letter format). A copy of a professional cover letter template can be downloaded to aid you with the formatting for your professional statement (/sites/default/files/banner/professional_cover_letter_template.docx).
- The student’s admission to the MBA program will be evaluated by the MBA Admission Committee in the Department of Business Administration.
- Note: Only six hours of graduate coursework completed at one or more universities or colleges are transferable.
Admission as a Non-degree seeking student
Applicants who have met the undergraduate foundation CPC requirements but who have either a 2.80 overall GPA or 3.0 GPA in the last 60 hours of academic work attempted may be accepted on a non- degree-seeking basis. In this case, the student may take no more than six hours of graduate courses.
Students who have received baccalaureate degrees but have not been admitted to Graduate Studies are classified as post-baccalaureate students. Post-baccalaureate enrollment is offered to accommodate students who intend to enter Graduate studies at some future time, but need prerequisite or foundation courses. In this case, the student may take no more than six hours of graduate courses.
Applicants must submit a fully "Typed" and completed graduate application to the MVSU Graduate Admissions Office with the required supporting documentation with explicit attention to details and accuracy and consistency of all information notated on all submitted documentation (this will be strictly and explicitly scrutinized). Please be advised that your grade point average (GPA) will not be the only criterion that will be assessed; the entirety of your graduate application packet will be scrutinized and assessed for 1) overall professionalism, 2) the overall accuracy, consistency, and clarity of information on your documents, and 3) the level of communications (orally or in writing). The graduate admissions application packet must include:
Your professional statement should include the following criteria:
- Font type: New Times Roman
- Font size: 12pt
- Not more than two or three pages
- Spacing between sentences should be "1.5"
- Margins should be "one inch" on all sides
- Attention to the details and tenants of Standard English Grammar and proper and professional sentence structure
- Free from any and all grammatical and sentence structure errors; as this will be strictly adhered to and scrutinized
The professional statement should address your: 1) professional and some personal motivations for pursuing a professional graduate business degree, 2) why you chose Mississippi Valley State University to further your education at the graduate level in business administration, and 3) how attaining an MBA from Mississippi Valley State University will aid you with the achievement of your professional and personal endeavors.
International Students: Additional requirements for international students can be found in the 2021-2022 MVSU Graduate Catalog (pg 23, first paragraph) on the MVSU Website under: Academic Affairs. In addition, international students can contact the Office of International Programs at 662-254-3092 for more specific information that pertains to all MVSU graduate programs. In addition, concerning the IELTS scores:
The IELST score required for MVSU is 5.5-6.0. The IELTS exam is comprised of two exams: The General Training Reading and Writing Modules Exam and The Academic Reading and Writing Modules Exam. The General Training exam is for those who wish to only work in an English-speaking country. The Academic Exam is for those who wish to take up studies in an online academic program offered by an academic institution in an English-speaking or where English is the first language. You will need to make sure that you submit the Academic Reading and Writing Modules test and you will need to make sure that the test date is current (should be renewed every two years starting from the initial test date).
Note: Applicants who are applying to the MBA program and who have an undergraduate degree in another discipline other than a business undergraduate degree are strongly encouraged to take “MBA Foundational” business courses for non-business majors. These MBA foundational courses can be taken simultaneously with MBA courses. These MBA Foundational courses include: