Back to top

Graduate Admission

Applicants seeking admission to graduate programs at Mississippi Valley State University must be admitted both to the Graduate Studies and the degree program.

Graduates of regionally accredited institutions in the United States who do not intend to seek an advanced degree from Mississippi Valley State University, but wish to take courses, may register as a non-degree status student. A non-degree student, who subsequently seeks full or restricted admission, must complete an application for admission to the Graduate Studies and be accepted by a department and the Graduate Studies for the degree study.

A non-degree-seeking student, who subsequently seeks full or restricted admission, must complete an application for admission to the University and be accepted based on the recommendation of the program to which the student is seeking admission. A non-degree student must hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution and must submit proof of immunization and an application indicating non-degree status. Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid, and letters of recommendation are not required.

Deadline for Admission

Admission to a degree program is made in the fall or spring semester. The priority date for fall applications is March 15th. The priority date for spring applications is October 15th.

Admission of Undergraduates to Graduate Courses

Undergraduate Mississippi Valley State University students who have completed all required courses thus far and are within six hours of graduation may enroll in a maximum of six semester hours of graduate work. To be eligible to take graduate courses, undergraduate students must have a grade point average of at least 2.75 overall and in their major field.

Re-Admissions to the University

All graduate students who withdraw from the university or who have been suspended for academic deficiencies must apply for re-admission by submitting an application to graduate studies. Re-admission is not automatic and does not reinstate the student. The Graduate Program must approve all applications for re-admission and reinstate the student. If you are trying to be readmitted to a different graduate program, you must complete the admission process again indicating admission to the new program. 

Questions concerning a paper application or re-admission should be directed to the Graduate Studies Department (662-254-3347).